The history of donuts began in 1931 when Giuseppe Lombardi created the dough for the “Sunday biscuits”. Peppino had learned the art of baking in Fiorenzuola d’Arda at the Astorri bakery which had then opened an office in Lugagnano.
At that time there were donuts, but they were salted, made with bread dough and polished. Inseparable from the donuts were the donuts, the peddlers who sold them.
The last donut of the upper Val D’Arda disappeared in 1978.
In 1933, with a small variation on the Sunday biscuit recipe , Peppino created the first sweet donuts of Lugagnano. The liqueur aroma is removed from the original recipe and milk is added.